The Amsler Grid is used for checking distortion in the vision and for detecting central vision defects. To use the test you must download and print the Amsler Grid (45K PDF) file.
Amsler Grid Instructions
- Wearing your reading glasses, cover one eye.
- Look at the center dot on the grid. Keep your eye focused on the dot at all times.
- While looking at the center dot be sure that all the lines on the grid are straight and all the small squares are the same size.
- If any area on the grid becomes distorted, discolored, or abnormal, call your doctor and let him/her know right away.
- Test each eye separately.
- Test each eye every day.